Does your dog suffer from hip and joint pain? Are you looking for pain management solutions to relieve your dog’s joint pain? Like many pet parents, you are not alone. Howeever, Over 24% of pet owners use CBD for themselves or their pets. But is CBD an effective solution for joint pain management for dogs?
We’ll explore what causes joint pain for dogs, offer a management solution, and explain the possible benefits of using a CBD supplement for relieving hip and joint pain in dogs.
What Causes Hip Problems and Joint Pain for Dogs?
The hip is your dog’s largest joint and it is very susceptible. Unfortunately, many factors can cause hip problems for dogs, such as:
Your dog can develop hip pain and problems from an early age, a traumatic experience, or as your dog gets old. Additionally, The most common issues that can develop are:
- Hip Dysplasia: A common disease for dogs where the hip joint is malformed, creating uneven rubbing of the joint cartilage, which causes pain, difficulty moving, and osteoarthritis. Hip dysplasia can be a genetic condition for some breeds like Labradors and Golden Retrievers.
- Hip Dislocation: Usually caused by trauma, injury, or hip dysplasia, a hip dislocation can be treated by a veterinarian and may cause severe pain.
- Osteoarthritis: A progressive inflammatory condition that inflames and deteriorates the cartilage in the hip joint. This loss of cartilage can be painful and reduce your dog’s mobility. Larger breeds are more susceptible to osteoarthritis.
- Osteochondrosis: This disease causes abnormal cartilage growth. This can cause joint pain, swelling, and osteoarthritis. Large breed dogs are also more susceptible to this disease.
- Legg Calve Perthes Disease: A disease that affects the head of the femur bone that moves with the hip joint and may require surgery of the affected bone. Small breed dogs are the most susceptible, specifically Miniature Poodles and White Terriers.
Related: Dog CBD Treats
Common Symptoms of Joint and Hip Problems in Dogs
While hip and joint problems often occur as your dog ages, they can happen at any time, especially if your dog’s breed is susceptible to them. As a result, Here are the most common symptoms of joint and hip issues for dogs:
- Struggles to sit or stand
- Has difficulty jumping into the car
- Limps while favoring a leg
- Lifts a limb in the air
- Has swollen joints
- Makes an audible pop or cracking sound when moving the hip
If you notice any of these joint symptoms and they become common behavior for your dog, you may want to contact your veterinarian. Your vet will be able to diagnose the specific problem and give suggestions for relieving your dog’s joint or hip pain.
A Multipronged Approach to Managing Hip and Joint Pain for Dogs
If your dog does have hip and joint pain there are several things you can do to help alleviate the pain:
- Regular pain management through supplements and prescription NSAIDs
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids supplements
- Anti-inflammatory supplements like CBD
- Low impact exercise
- Additional therapeutic, strength-building exercises
- Maintaining an ideal weight and body condition
By taking a multipronged approach, you’ll be able to help ease your dog’s pain as well as improve their overall health. Furthermore, You should talk to your veterinarian to create the best plan for your dog.
What Supplements Can I Give My Dog for His Hips and Joints?
When addressing hip and joint pain for dogs, these are the best supplements for reducing inflammation and pain:
Do you prefer natural supplements to manage your dog’s inflammation? Shop our full line of CBD treats and oils specially formulated for dogs.
Related Link: CBD Success Story: Joint Pain
How Does CBD Help My Dog’s Hips and Joint Pain?
CBD oil may be able to help relieve your dog’s hips and joint pain by:
- Reducing inflammation: Inflammation is the primary cause of pain in joints. CBD may increase blood flow, protecting the joints from further damage and initiating the healing process. CBD may also block what causes the inflammation to flare.
- Blocking pain receptors: CBD may block the vanilloid pain receptors in the brain, which help reduce the pain signals that reach the brain.
- Stimulating the cartilage tissue repair and regeneration process: CBD may activate chondrocytes in the joints to regenerate and help build lost cartilage tissue.
The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) notes that while CBD does appear to hold therapeutic promise for managing pain and inflammation, studies are still somewhat limited, and products are unregulated. The AVMA encourages more clinical research of CBD hopes the FDA will soon approve high-quality CBD products that can be proven for safety and efficacy.
Can CBD Cure Canine Arthritis?
No. Nothing can cure canine arthritis. CBD and other supplements may only help reduce the pain and inflammation caused by canine arthritis. As a result, CBD is a great natural solution for helping reduce the pain and inflammation associated with canine arthritis.
CBD Supplements for Dogs May Help Joint and Hip Pain
If your dog suffers from hip or joint pain, you may want to consider a CBD supplement as part of your overall strategy for reducing inflammation and pain around your dog’s hips and joints.
While more studies are needed, the science is beginning to look promising for using CBD as part of your dog’s overall pain management plan. As always, you should talk to your vet about using CBD or any other supplement in your dog’s joint pain treatment.
Dope Dog makes high-quality CBD oil products that may help soothe a dog suffering from inflammation or arthritis. Additionally, We offer CBD treats, shampoos, and oils that allow you to customize your CBD delivery method that works best for your dog.
Would your dog benefit from a natural anti-inflammatory supplement to reduce hip and joint pain? Shop Dope Dog CBD oils that may help your dog feel like itself again.
Related Link: CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain