📰 BARKING NEWS
Hot Spot Treatment | A viral TikTok captures the chaotic moment when a hawk startles a guitar player and her dog, showcasing a "cinematic masterpiece." In the footage, the brave dog leaps to protect its owner from the winged intruder, creating an intense and unexpected encounter. Watch the video here.
🐕 Maryland Woman Reunited With Lost Dog
A Maryland woman has been reunited with her dog, Franklin, nearly a year after he was stolen from her car. Also, Julia Salsich had been dropping something off in Washington when her car was stolen, with Franklin inside. Then, After weeks of searching and posting flyers, Salsich received a text message from the microchip company informing her that Franklin had been found and scanned. As a result, Salsich encourages pet owners to have their pets microchipped, emphasizing the importance of the practice in case of loss or theft. As a result, Read the full story here.
🪣 Foster Dog's Bucket List Goes Viral
Lauren Siler took in a 19-year-old dog named Annie as a foster, knowing that Annie didn't have much time left. However, Annie defied expectations and lived for another year. Also, Siler and her roommate, Lisa Flores, created a bucket list for Annie and documented her adventures on Instagram, gaining a large following. Sadly, Annie passed away after the one-year mark, but Siler plans to continue fostering senior dogs in the future. She encourages others to get involved by adopting, fostering, volunteering, or donating. Lastly, you can read the full story here.
🐾 PAW-SOME POINTERS
Tips and tricks to help take care of your pets
Tips for Treating Hot Spots
Hot spots can be a distressing condition for dogs, but with proper treatment and prevention, you can help your furry friend find relief. In this email, we will guide you through the process of treating hot spots and share some natural remedies that can support your dog's healing journey.
Treating Hot Spots: Veterinary Care and Topical Treatment
- Seek Veterinary Care: The first step is to bring your dog to the vet, who can provide a proper diagnosis and prescribe necessary medications. They may recommend hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation and antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
- Trim and Clean the Area: Trim the hair around the hot spot and clean it thoroughly using water, antiseptic, and shampoo. Ensure the area is dry and free from debris before proceeding.
- Topical Application: Apply the prescribed hydrocortisone cream and antibiotic ointment as directed by your vet. These medications will aid in reducing inflammation and promoting healing.
Preventing Licking and Scratching
- Consider Using a Dog Cone: To prevent your dog from licking or scratching the hot spot, a dog cone (Elizabethan collar) can be beneficial. It may seem silly, but it effectively protects the wound and allows it to heal undisturbed.
Natural Remedies for Hot Spots
If you prefer natural remedies, here are some options to explore:
- CBD Dog Shampoo: Our CBD-infused dog shampoo, Soothing Suds, can help alleviate irritation, inflammation, and dryness associated with hot spots. It contains organic aloe leaf juice, organic hemp oil, oatmeal, and other nourishing ingredients to promote a clean and relaxed feel.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Dilute apple cider vinegar with warm water (50:50) and spray it directly on the hot spot three times a day. Many pet owners have found this remedy helpful.
- Oatmeal Bath: Give your dog an oatmeal bath in the evening, allowing the soothing effects to take place overnight. Oatmeal has proven to be beneficial for dogs with hot spots and eczema.
- Vitamin E: Cut a vitamin E capsule in half and apply the oil to your dog's wound. Vitamin E acts as a natural Neosporin, guarding against potential bacterial infections.
- Coconut Oil: Apply coconut oil, known for its antiviral and antibacterial properties, to alleviate skin problems associated with hot spots.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera gel can be used on your dog's skin to soothe inflammation and promote healing. Apply a small amount to the affected area to witness its remarkable benefits.
Full Blog Here
Easy recipes that you can make and enjoy at home
Frozen Apple Carrot Cubes
- Ice Cube Tray
- 1 carrot peeled
- 1 apple cored and deseeded
- 1/2 cup water
- Puree carrots and apples into a smooth mixture in a blender
- Pour into ice cub trays or molds
- Once frozen, your pet can enjoy in moderation
(Source: The Dog People)
Full Recipe Here
💡 DOGGY DELIGHTS
Fun fact of the day: Dogs can get sunburned just like humans. However, Light-colored or thin-coated dogs are more susceptible to sunburn, especially on their ears, nose, and other exposed areas. Using pet-safe sunscreen can help protect their skin.
Last Week's Trivia Question: What is the state dog of New York? Answer: Working dogs are the official dogs of New York, according to the New York State Senate.
Trivia Question: What is the national dog of Japan?
Tune in to next week's issue for the answer!